Hi folks - Kate and Emma kindly asked me to join the KAL - it's great to have a place where we can be as blue as we want to be. I'm delighted to meet y'all.
Although I haven't yet started any campaign-related knitting, I have started Knitters for Obama at BarackObama.com - and I hope that some of you will be interested in joining. Knitters are amazing people, and this is a great chance to show it. Knitters For Obama will be a great place to hear about knitting events, and your participation helps show visible support for Barack during the campaign. Let's show that knitters are a force to be reckoned with! You can find the site and join here: http://my.barackobama.com/page/group/KnittersforObama
Here are some other things you can do to get the ball rolling:
- You can schedule a "Knit-In for Obama" in your community. A knit-in/stitch-'n'-bitch is a great way to bring your fellow knitters together to talk about Barack (and do some good knitting in public at the same time!) You can use the event to fundraise, or if you're more inclined, just to talk about Barack and get people motivated. If you need any help getting one started, don't hesitate to email me at krengren AT hotmail DOT com.
- You can call or email your fellow knitters and encourage them to join Knitters for Obama. We would like to see as many people join as possible - given how organized knitters are in general, we have the potential to reach hundreds or even thousands of people! You can send knitter friends to: Link
- You can donate to the Knitters for Obama Fund. Barack needs our support to make it in this race and your donation can go a long way toward helping him. Your contribution goes 100% to the Obama campaign. Support the Fund by donating here: Link
- You can blog about why you're supporting Barack for President in 2008 (which many of you may already be doing.) The more Barack gets out there in the blogosphere, the better! And you can put these buttons up on your blog - please, don't swipe the bandwidth:
- You can design, wear, and share Obama '08 knitted stuff. You can even sell knitted goods on Etsy or eBay to raise cash for the Obama campaign. Who wouldn't pay top dollar for toasty socks AND supporting a good cause? Again, if you need any help with this one, email me.
- You can help organize friends and family for other Obama events and fundraising activities. Barack is going strong, but he's going to need all the help he can get.
Thanks again and looking forward to working with you to help Barack mend the fabric of American politics. Cheers!
Labels: 2008, barack, campaign, election, obama, President