Thursday, January 18, 2007

The promised political content.....

I have to admit first off, that politics was not something I remember much about from my childhood (unlike my DH, who's mother was very politically active, and he followed suit). My parents voted every election as did my grandparents (tho' they were {gasp} Republicans).

I find that I am more interested the older I get. Maybe it has to do with the increasing cost of health insurance, the price of gas at the pump, the wrong headedness of the war, the deteriorating public school system (why must we leave every child behind), etc., etc. Or maybe now that I don't work a day job, I have more time to think about it.

Obama scares me. Now before you all jump on that, let me explain.

He scares me because every time I hear him speak, I hear echos from our murdered past. I hear the echos of Bobby Kennedy. And I am afraid for him, and afraid for what will happen to our country if "they" do it again.....

6 Comments:

At 11:30 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I hear the echos too. So have some of my friends. But I sure do want to work for him!

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger lobstah said...

I've always had some interest in politics, even as a teenager, but it has definitely grown in the last few years. I attribute a lot of it to the "internets"...there's just so much interesting stuff to read out there!

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

I know, I know.

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Kate A. said...

I'm so scared to think about it that I didn't even want to add a comment. Then I decided that was totally insane, so here I am. But I'm still scared to think about it.

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger thenutfantastic said...

I completely agree with you about the scared thing. I see him being the favorite, everybody ready to jump on the Obama Wagon, then I see everything going down hill fast right around the primaries. Everyone is going to try and sink their teeth into him somehow until they hit the jugular and it makes he worry for his family.

Gloria Steinham said women tend to get more liberal and/or political as they get older whereas men tend to get more conservative and/or political as they get older.

The difference is due to the fact that white men start out with everything, a right to all sorts of things he has not in any way earned (most of the time) whereas women, especially minorities or those with a disability, tend to start out dead last in terms of privilege, having to fight for everything we get just about.

Her book Outrageous Acts and Everyday Rebellions is definitely worth reading.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Travelin'Oma said...

Interesting. I've thought of the same thing. Obama is young and idealistic, optimistic and I feel excitement thinking of the future. I haven't felt that way since I heard Bobby Kennedy speak when I was in college. Those days seem very dark in my memory.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home