Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Shrub and the Shrubites speak again

Is it me or is this the same 'ol shit rewashed? so I got through most of it but stopped taking notes after the No Child Left Behind lies.

"...the courage to fight it together"? He was talking about the hardships we will be facing in 2007.

"Our citizens don't care what side of the aisle we sit on, just as long as we are willing to cross that aisle when there is work to be done."
Yeah, remember that next time you appoint men like Scooter Libby or Eric Keroack to your throne.

My biggest peeves were the discussion on our current economy and the ever favorite No Child Left Behind Act. After that, I just chatted it up with Charlie, bouncing the highlights off him. He doesn't watch because it gets his blood pressure up and causes the tv's life to be in grave danger.

"This economy is on the move and the only way to keep it that way is not with more government, but with more enterprise."
So says the King who let Haliburton "win" the bid to rebuild Iraq, then turned the other cheek when they were caught stealing from the mouth that fed them.
"We need to balance the federal budget and can do so without raising taxes, though we need a spending discpline in Washington."
Then he said something about no higher taxes, blah blah blah.

I would like to know how we will accomplish not only balancing our federal budget, but paying back the trillions of dollars owed if we never raise taxes? I would also like to know how giving tax cuts to the 1% who don't need it will help the economy, not to mention the nation's poorest individuals/families who struggle everyday to make ends meet?

Oh but he didn't stop there. Of course not, his writers and PR's wouldn't let him.

He mentioned something about "taking on entitlements" such as Social Security, Disability, Medicare/Medicaid, saying "we're not doing a good job"; a) I wasn't aware such things were in the "entitlement" category, b) damn straight we aren't doing a good enough job if millions are still on welfare with millions more waiting their turn and c) what about them there tax cuts for the supremely rich even though they are such a small minority in these United States? Don't those count as "entitlements"?

On to the No Child Left Behind Act where, if the school is failing, parents will have the opportunity to send their kids to schools that aren't.

Has he ever thought about trying to fix the schools that are failing by giving them more money, helping to better their staff and, here's a thought, addressing why the schools are failing? It's not because they aren't trying, it's more a matter of not enough people at the top caring and, most importantly, federal funding that gets snatched away when they can't make the grade. (pun intended)

Oh, here's something that made me laugh. It's paraphrased but it's mostly the right point and he said it when discussing the war in Iraq, why we need to stay the path and so on: "Free people do not create violent and harmful ideologies."

Has he forgotten the US has the highest incarceration rate in the entire world despite a drop in crime? And we carry the most guns (enough to arm every citizen 2 or 3 times over)?

And yes, Bush did ask for a troup increase of 92,000 strong over the next 5 years.

Then he switched to asking for 1.5 billion over 5 years to help fight the HIV/AIDS pandemic in Africa. Remember though, no mentioning condoms could help prevent the disease spread, mmkay?
He did propose a federal payroll tax that would help give every legal citizen access to private health insurance. Ya think he's been talking to Ahnold?

Psst: Isn't it funny that Nancy Pelosi and Dick Cheney have to sit next to each other? You think they were whispering snide remarks back and forth when the camera wasn't on them?)

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 6:53 AM, Blogger Emma said...

Thanks for the recap. I intended to watch last night, but I had knitting group, and then when I got home my husband was making dinner and he wanted to watch Veronica Mars instead. So we did.

I kind of feel guilty about missing the SOTU address for the first time in many, many years, but I figured it would be more of the same old stuff, and would probably stress me out too much anyway.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger thenutfantastic said...

Definitely. I just posted the parts I tuned in for because as soon as he did the obligatory chat on domestic issues, he launched into his "stay the course" rhetoric. I stopped paying attention at that point.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Kate A. said...

I appreciate the recap too - though it definitely did raise my blood pressure! You'd think this crap would stop having this effect after a while, wouldn't you? It's not like any of it's ever a surprise. Well, okay, the *depth* of deception and depravity does surprise me, over, and over, and over. The worst part for my blood pressure, though, is all the news commenters taking it seriously. As if any rational, serious response is even possible to a lunatic's ranting about an imaginary universe.

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

Oh yeah, talk about a group of pompous, delusional idiots. Bobby and I did watch it on PBS, yes, the same old same old and I kept wanting to vomit and laugh hysterically at the same time.
And yes, thanks for the recap.

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Kimmer said...

I have this tendency to yell back at the TV whenever he's speaking so I hadn't planned on watching it, but my son was watching it. I went in the kitchen to do some cleaning up and started shouting back things like, "And who's fault is that?" every other line. Usually this annoys my son, but he joined in, and we did our own version of MST3K (Mystery Science Theater 3000, for the uninitiated) on it, just making jokes and correcting the "errors".

There's one other thing I read about recently. I have a problem with watching Dubya speaking, in particular, and have little trouble just listening to him. There's something about his face that I don't like, and someone on a blog pointed this out. His upper lip doesn't move. It's like it's plastered to his upper teeth. The writer - and I really wish I could remember where this was so I could give credit - mentioned that he has an underdeveloped philtrum - you know, that dent in your upper lip right under your nose - and that limits the motion of his lip. This is also commonly seen in fetal alcohol syndrome, which is something I've seen bloggers speculating on before. Just one more tidbit of info :)

That said, what did you all think about Senator Webb's response? I was practically jumping for joy at this. What a smackdown of Dubya! Far outshined the SOTU, that's for sure! And Webb wrote the speech himself. Man, if he was willing to take the job I'd start calling for him to be drafted to run for President.

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Andi said...

I agree a rewash, rinse 6 times, and shake dry to make it seem like it was all new again. Give me a break. Same ol Same ol. I gotta kick though watching the Speaker of the House's facial reactions.

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger Bev said...

Yup, it seemed like the same sh**, differnt day! I did get a kick out of watching Madam Speaker alternately look like she was going to laugh or hurl......There was a good deal of yelling at the TV in our house to....like the word NOT loudly after his every pronouncement!

Webb on the other hand, was awesome. Ok, how do we feel about the ticket Obama/Webb....

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Travelin'Oma said...

I yelled back at my TV, too. I wish someone was paying attention! The only time I enjoy watching Bush is on Dave Letterman's segment "Great Moments in Presidential Speeches." That's when he is entertaining.

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger krisluvswool said...

It's the Same Ol' Sh!t... which is why I didn't even bother watching past Nancy Pelosi being seated :) I had to stop watching Shrub speeches several years ago-- about the time that he became president, really. If I hadn't, I would have died of a stroke by now.

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger lobstah said...

Everything the "Chimperor" says is completey ass-backwards! I don't understand how any citizen can take him seriously (although considering how poorly-read many people are, I guess it shouldn't be a surprise).

I'm so sick of the typical corporate/conservative line of "government is bad and these poor people don't deserve any money" when they have no problem sucking off the government teat themselves! Hypocrites, much??

Grrr.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home