Saturday, January 20, 2007

an inconvenient truth

So I finally saw the movie yesterday. I know, I know, I'm probably the last liberal on the planet to see the thing, but anyway, it blew my mind. As a science teacher, the environment is an issue that is close to me anyway (that and creationism, but don't get me started there), but I was truly shocked by the breadth and depth of the information in the movie. That and the personality and obvious deep interest in the subject that Al Gore showed. (Where was that in 2000? Where?) If I was still teaching earth science, I would have totally showed it to all my classes. It makes me want to do more than I'm doing.
http://stopglobalwarming.org

5 Comments:

At 6:42 AM, Blogger creativeneurosis said...

(Where was that in 2000? Where?)

I STILL haven't stoppoed asking myself that.

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger thenutfantastic said...

I haven't seen it yet but I don't necessarily need to either. I've been on the global warming kick since I made my mom and dad start recycling when I was in middle school.

Just tonight my son asked me, "Mom, is Earth Day really every day?" I said technically no, but it should be since we live on it every day, 24/7, 365 days a year. I think a light bulb clicked on, yay!

 
At 5:28 AM, Blogger lobstah said...

I still haven't seen it either. Career-wise I am in the environmental field so I probably already know a lot of what's in the movie, but I still would like to see it.

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Kimmer said...

I haven't seen the movie, but I do have the book, which is Al's slide show on paper, with some longer bits included.

Where was this Al in 2000? Unfortunately, listening to people who were running his campaign. If he had just been himself the entire time instead of only during that third debate...

I'm working on reducing my greenhouse gas contributions. I've switched most of my light bulbs to compact fluorescents - all but the ones in the ceiling fans, but I'm sure I can switch those safely - and I'd like to put a clothesline in my backyard. With the amount of laundry I do every week this would really cut my CO2 contributions down. I'm hoping that the car manufacturers will start making fully electric vehicles that seat more than 2 people, or at least start making more alternative fuel vehicles so companies will start making alternative fuels available.
Every little bit helps.

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger Emma said...

My husband and I saw the movie in the theater, and we both thought it was excellent. It was amazing how enthralling Gore was throughout, and it held my attention completely. I thought it was great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home