Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Best "Letter to the Editor" response to the Supreme Court's meddling with women's health

From the NY Times Letters to the Editor:

To the Editor:

Re “A Sharp Turn for the Supreme Court on Abortion” (letters, April 20):

I am a rheumatologist caring for a patient whose lupus nephritis is flaring. Her creatinine is rising as her platelet count falls, and she has failed to improve with pulse methylprednisolone and intravenous cyclophosphamide. I am contemplating using rituximab. I would like to refer this case to the United States Supreme Court for its guidance.

Richard Zweig, M.D.
Santa Rosa, Calif., April 20, 2007

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/24/opinion/l24abortion.html

----

I don't know this guy, but I think I love him...

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 8:25 AM, Blogger Emma said...

That's awesome. And relly illustrative of the issue, I think. It's ridiculous for a bunch of lawyers to substitute their own judgement for that of a trained physician!

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Kimmer said...

Fantastic!! I'm with you on loving this guy even though I don't know him. I'm always astounded that the party that's allegedly for less government intervention in our lives is all for government making personal decisions for us all.

Something else about this particular decision. You do know that the 5 Justices in the majority are all Catholic. Think that came into play on this decision? Add this to when a bishop declared that John Kerry would be denied communion because he is pro abortion rights while being personally against abortion, and other bishops and priests declaring that being pro-choice or voting for pro-choice candidates must be confessed before communion may be taken, and I see a good argument for revoking the Church's tax-exempt status.

I've seen this argument put forth elsewhere, and the people have been called "anti-Catholic bigots" just for pointing this out. I'm sorry, but when JFK was running for President there was concern on the other side that he would take orders from the Pope instead of doing what was right for the country. How is this any different?

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger lobstah said...

Wow, classic! I love when a point is made so deliciously.
Too bad this letter wasn't printed in every newspaper in the country...I'm guessing the majority of NYT readers completely agree with him!

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Kate A. said...

This editorial was genius...although it also makes me so sad that something like this even needs to be pointed out, you know?

Kimmer makes an excellent point (as usual) about the role of the Catholic church in this. I don't see how requiring the Church to keep up its end of the separation of church and state (by threatening to take away tax exemption until this crap stops, for example) could possibly be construed as anti-Catholic...but then, if we were dealing with reasonable people there wouldn't be a problem, would there?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home