Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Help! I'm trying to find a mushroom tam knit pattern....

much like this one:

My son's counselor has really long dreads and has been known to wear these. Since he's been a blessing in our lives, I thought it would be awesome to make one (or 2) for him but I can't find a pattern to knit it by and I'm just not that handy at creating one myself. Yes, I've scoured the net and even emailed these folks to see if they would be willing to part with their pattern or convert it to one I could knit but haven't heard back.

The one in the picture is crocheted (which I'm sure you could tell already but I wanted to point it out just in case) and I was wondering if anyone had the special skills to create a pattern for me or knows someone who has one?

I've got the yarn, I just need the pattern! thanks!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 2:41 PM, Blogger krisluvswool said...

There is a pattern called le slouch at http://www.knitandtonic.typepad.com/ at her Free Patterns section on the left hand side of her website. It's not open work, but I've seen some great variations here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=153570.40 and here http://www.figandplum.com/archives/000780.html They are all made for girls by girls, but there are some gender-ambiguous modifications that people have made that might inspire you. And I think even the seed stitch on the knit and tonic/fi&plum versions are pretty cool.

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger lobstah said...

The construction of that hat looks pretty simple to me. I think it just a circularly-knit tube, made to the size of the head. Then you increase a bunch of stitches to make the "baggy" part of it. Once the "bag" is as big as you want, decrease to close it. It would take some trial and error but I think you could do it.

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger thenutfantastic said...

I have a few months so I think perhaps I'll just have to give it a whirl and hope it works out, lol. I've done enough beanies to know how many stitches it will take to make the hat fit snug on the head so I'll start there and see what happens.

At least it will be knit in blue, ;).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home