Monday, November 20, 2006

Had a situation here...


Had a bit of a situation here this weekend, Shedir, had gotten to round 40something and I was just merrily knitting along and ....hey, there should be another stitch here.....oops, well, that was the third little (ok, that one wasn't so little, but the other two were) mistake and I just couldn't fix it, I tried, no go, so frogged it back to nothing and started over...am now on round 28, this photo was taken a few rounds before I frogged it...dang...I will say that since I've started over it has gone a lot smoother, which is always nice.

Also some socks, they're a K3 P1 pattern I saw first at Kate's, you can find it at Knitty, it's called Thuja, and I really like it for a simple, plain, yet not the most plain, sock. And it's blue, the yarn is Knitpicks' Essential Tweed, it's really nice yarn, very soft, and yes, it seems a bit of a cheat in that I'm using two strands and US 3 dpns, it's a holiday knit and I'm pushing it even with the 'cheats'.

Oh, and Kate? I'd like to apologize for the, ahem, somewhat lengthy comment I left on your post the other day, but seriously loved the old photo.

Hey, who watched/heard Real Time the other night? It was a really good one, one of the best, Dreyfuss rocked, talking about Civics classes in school, or rather the lack of Civics classes in school, I'm close to 53, and remember having Civics from the time I was very young all the way through HS, I then asked my daughter, soon to be 30, she remembers having Civics but remembers not being terribly impressed.....she pretty much chalked it up to the teacher, remember, we are in the Bible Belt and this seriously drives every member of my family crazy...they allow quite a bit of religion into the classrooms even when it shouldn't be there, which is what happened to Havala's Civics class.....

7 Comments:

At 7:31 AM, Blogger mollieknits said...

I'm 22 and had nothing called "Civics" and only one semester (and we had full-year scheduling, not block) of Government in high school. My government teacher was an atheist, so even though I live in the Bible Belt, I don't think there was much religion in it. (Not that I would have minded at the time if we had.....)

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Krista said...

I knit a pair of "Thuja" socks too. They are quick and very satisfying! Going to knit another pair for my FIL. Love the blue you are using!

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

lol - that's not a cheat! Thuja is a pattern I have sitting on standby - just waiting for my DH to come round and ask for handknit socks (I'm making progress) lol

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

Well, I guess the Thuja pattern does call for US 6 but it's still a cheat for me using US3 instead of US 1 or 2 for knitting socks, I've cast on 48 stitches for the US 3.

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Kate A. said...

Love the socks! I want to make the same pattern again in the bigger gauge, as per the original knitty pattern.

I never had civics, either. "Social Studies" was a joke - one year we watched Eskimo movies and were told to shut up a lot, the next year the teacher droned on obliviously about...something (I don't know what, I could never hear him)...while the rest of the class shouted and threw things, until one day the teacher snapped and picked up a student - chair and all - and threw him. Then, in high school, it was "American and World Studies." Taught by the soccer coach, who told us that he'd majored in history in college because "it was easier than math." He hated me because I kept having to correct him (I didn't *volunteer* corrections; I just couldn't help it if he asked me a question that contained major factual errors!). I did, however, have one good Constitutional Law class as a senior. The teacher was ultra-conservative and religious, as of course was the rest of the class, but I give that teacher credit for genuinely believing in discussion and giving fair weight to everybody's opinion. It was also one of maybe four classes I ever took in high school that had *content*.

And we're living in the "best country in the world"??

Marianne - how could you possibly apologize to *me* for a long comment?? I'm the QUEEN of long comments. I LURVE long comments. I live for them. And I particularly enjoyed your last one! I think you have very lucky kids, and I'm very sure I'd have a lot in common with them! Comment on!

 
At 5:18 AM, Blogger Marianne said...

Kate, thank you, I knew you'd understand.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Kate A. said...

Hey - I just had to say, that episode of Real Time just finally hit iTunes - and it is *fantastic*!! Dreyfuss for president - seriously!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home